Hall Organizer for Bekah

The area next to the front door can be chaotic, especially with young kids. Here is Bekah’s solution.

I started by gluing up 8 foot sections of white fir. The boards were too long for my 4 inch jointer, so I hand planed the edges with my Bailey #7.

Three 2x8s were joined with 3/8 inch dowels and clamped. The 8 foot length was later cut in half for the bottom and top of the bench.

It’s tough to find perfectly flat 2×8 construction lumber. So after the glue dried overnight, a bit of flatening was required. The glue-up was too wide for my planer, so my Bailey #5 did the trick. I used an 18 inch steel rule on edge to gauge flatness. The final thickness was 1-1/8 inches.

Dados were cut into the sides and horizontal sections to hold dividers. The tenons were adjusted with a rabbet plane for a good fit. Here the pieces are being dry-fit before glue-up. Shoulder tenons were used on the horizontal pieces to hide any joinery errors.

Here is the actual glue-up of the sides. Notice the clamping cauls and the pipe clamp extensions . Diagonal measurements were made to ensure squareness. Because of the number of joints, the glue-up was done in two stages.

Here is the second glue-up where the top is attached. The dados in the top were cut the full length. You can see the small pieces glued into the front portion of the data where the top overhangs the base. The screw clamps are holding a 2-1/2 board that closes off the empty area under the bottom section of cubbies. This is so mom doesn’t have to search for errant articles underneath the bench.

The upper section of the piece was made much the same as the bench below. It’s purpose is to provide hooks for coats and backpacks, as well as baskets for hats and gloves.

The back pieces were tongue and grooved to allow for across the grain wood movement. They also provide the structure for the hooks, and for hanging the piece on the wall. The tongue and groove boards reside in a rabbet cut into the sides.

Levi hanging out on the bench. Dimensions are 17 inches tall, 48 wide and 16 deep.

Changing Table for “Little Senorita”

Bekah asked me to make a changing table, since the ones they looked at in stores were so pricey. I found the plans for this one in my Wood Magazine.

She wanted it painted white to match the crib she already had, so we matched the paint color at Home Depot.

Here I am attaching the Maple legs to the maple plywood carcase – just Titebond III glue, no screws or nails.

ChangingTable1

After cutting the rabbets and dado for the carcase, I masked the inside and painted the pieces before assembly. This simplified the painting chores immensely.

Here Bekah and Chloe have come to check on the progress…

ChangingTable2

I used a piece of pegboard as a template for drilling the shelf pins, and then routed a dado in the underside of the shelf so the 5mm shelf pins would be invisible. This picture shows the movable shelves better …

movableShelves

I waited until we transported the changing table to Bekah’s before installing the drawer pulls.

ChangingTable3

This is the first major project that I painted rather than stained. Turned out pretty good. Painting is a bunch more work. It was two coats of primer, and two of semi-gloss enamel. Painted finish can hide imperfections in the materials. I used Rockhard putty to fill in dents and voids in the plywood end grain before painting.

More money in the hardware (slides, knobs) and paint than in the wood!

ChangingTable4

If I do another one, I would consider either making four drawers instead of three or increasing the depth of the 3 drawers.

Capri

Here is Capri Elise checking it out at 1 week old.