Door Bell Enclosure

The old doorbell ringer was replaced with a Raspberry Pi processor that plays a mp3 tune when the front door bell button is pressed. See Zeek’s Raspberry Pi Doorbell post for the details of the electronics and code. Here is the completed upstairs enclosure made from redwood, pine, and mahogany scraps. The redwood came from siding retrieved from Grandpa Jake’s old house on the ranch.

This shelf was installed in the space occupied by the original door chime. The wires coming from the 24 volt a/c transformer and the line which runs to the outside door bell switch were located here. The transformer was just three foot above the original hole in the wall in the attic. Since I had just a 3 foot run to the outlet powering the transformer, I elected to run an AC line from the attic to the shelf to power the raspberry Pi and the Speakers. The other option was to buy a 24 vac to 5 vdc converter. They can be found on Amazon for about $12.

Here is the shelf with all the bits and pieces in place. Note the french cleat fastened to the top of the shelf back that is screwed to the wall. The enclosure will mate with it to hang on the wall. The raspberry Pi was also mounted to the back with two small screws that run through empty holes in the processor board.

After building a hollow box of redwood to cover the electronic components, I added pine strips along the inside of the face to act as a stop for the grill which would be placed against it from the inside.

I cut dodos in the face frame pieces using a pull saw and a square to keep the kerfs square. The waste was removed with a chisel.

Horizontal grill accents were inserted into the dados and glued in place. The dados were cut before assembly.

Vertical grill accents made from mahagony were glued into the dodos cut in the vertical pieces. They stand proud about 3/8 inch for a 3D effect.

The inside of the enclosure with the grill in place. I used a scrap of pegboard to wrap the fabric around. Fabric is glued. Note the two friction fit slats on either side of the grill that hold it in place.

The downstairs speaker for the Raspberry Pi doorbell project is supported by a simple platform make from a 5mm plywood back, two triangular side pieces that have dado for a 5mm base and a french cleat installed at the top of the back. The hole in the back is for the speaker wire. The platform is attached to the wall with drywall anchors.

The cover for the speaker was made from a simple box assembled with glue and nails. additional facade pieces were glued around the inside perimeter of the opening, and you can see the horizontal grill pieces being glued in space here.

Here the vertical grill pieces are added. They are wider than the horizontal pieces and set up proud of the face.

This is a view from the back side of the enclosure after inserting a face made from 5mm plywood and covered with a piece of fabric glued to the back side of the faceplate. You can also see the mating french cleat for the cover.

The cover was finished with Watco natural oil and simply slipped over the platform. The french cleats hold the two pieces together with no fasteners required.

Washer Dryer Pedestal

Shop built washer / dryer pedestals with two drawers. Finished dimensions: 56 1/2 inch wide, 16 inches tall, 27 1/2 inches deep. This one built for Zeek.

The frame was made from 2×4 construction lumber with extra support in the center to help support the weight of the two machines.

Six 1-1/2 inch rubber feet were counter-sunk under the frame where the weight of the appliances would be concentrated – 2 on each end and 2 in the middle. They were secured with a 1/4 inch lag bolt.

Top, sides and front were made from melamine covered particle board to provide protection against spills. 1/4 inch oak trim was glued and pinned to the exposed particle board edges to enhance its appearance and to protect the particle board.

2×4’s were glued with epoxy and screwed to the inside faces of the melamine components to provide a secure method to attach them to the frame. This attachment method obviated the need for unsightly screws on the finished surfaces.

Rabbets were cut into an added center 2×4 to make a convenient place to mount the full extension slides.

Here you can see the front being attached to the fame. 2×2’s were glued and screwed to the inside of the front face, and after the epoxy dried overnight, were screwed to the frame using a right-angle attachment to the driver.

The drawer fronts were made from the waste cutouts from the front. The addition of the oak trim to the edges made them large enough to be used. They were sized to provide an 1/8 inch gap between the drawer front and all edges. We used pennies and dimes to elevate the bottom of the front and then stuck it to the drawer with double sided tape. This allowed the pilot holes to be drilled from the inside of the drawer into the back of the drawer front.

Anti-Vibration pads were placed under the feet that came with the appliances to protect the top surface of the pedestal and to provide vibration dampening.

Here is another one I built for my wife’s Laundry Room. I used oak pulls on the front of the drawers.